June 26, 2012

Muesli and Almond Milk

(photo via Pinterest)
A favorite meal of mine is homemade Muesli ~


Muesli
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2 cups old fashioned oats
2 cups almond milk (recipe below)
1 cup yogurt
1/2 cup wheat germ
1/3 cup dried fruit
1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
1/3 cup chopped nuts (almonds/pecans)
2 tsp vanilla
pinch of nutmeg or cinnamon (optional)

Mix together and refrigerate overnight.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Of course there are many ways to make muesli ~ this is a simple base recipe that can easily be adjusted to taste.  You can add 1/4 cup honey for extra sweetness and the dried fruit can be raisins, cranberries, mango....whatever you like!  I usually just add coconut.
 
It's yummy this way but I prefer to eat it before the milk is absorbed and there's still some crunch.  Either way it's nutritious and delicious, versatile and incredibly easy!

Fresh Almond Milk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1/4 cup almonds
1 cup cold water
2 teaspoons pure maple syrup (optional

 Blanch almonds in a large skillet containing 1/2" boiling water for about 30 seconds (this will loosen skins).  Drain and pop skins off.  Place blanched  almonds in blender with 1 cup cold water.  Run at high speed for 2-3 minutes until a thick white milk has formed.  If there is a lot of pulp, you have not blended long enough.  If drinking milk straight, strain through a fine sieve, otherwise no need to strain.
 Enjoy!!

6 Thoughts:

The 5 Bickies said...

This looks delish - i will definitely be trying it for something different!

Jo said...

My kind of breakfast!
I've never made my own almond milk but I'll give it a try. :)

Jo

linda said...

Yummy and gorgeous!
-linda,ny

3 Peanuts said...

Thank you for sharing this recipe. I am going to try this soon. It...looks SO yummy. I have never made my own almond milk before even though it is my milk of choice. I have made almond flour though;)

sugar said...

Lori!! I found you :) Through my pinterest account, you pinned one of my pins. I was just thinking about you when I moved and went through my patterns and fabric. How are you? Do you remember me?

Nutritional Benefits of Almonds said...

Perfect for summer! It looks refreshing! thanks for sharing recipe :)

Post a Comment